Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Plea for Help

It is the kind of thing that makes mission work so exciting. It is something to think about the millions of people in this state who live impossible distances from a biblical church even if they know and understand the true gospel. Rio Grande do Sul is famished for biblical, healthy, faithful churches. We need church planters.

Last Sunday started a series of Sunday school lessons on Christmas at church. As our custom is, we took prayer requests to start the class. There were several different requests mentioned, a brother waiting for surgery, another brother's mom in the hospital, the end of the year finals for the students, church issues, etc. Then at the end, a dear sister raised her hand and said something like this:

"I want to ask prayer for my home city. There are only a few churches in that town and none of them preach the gospel. My brothers, my uncles and aunts, all of my family live there and there is no one there preaching the truth."

Her home town is something like two hours drive from where we live. It sits on the coast, a sand city, whose population swells on the weekends and during summer months.

After the Sunday School hour was over she came and talked to us. She said, "I want talk to you guys and your [missionary team] to see if we can do something over there. I could go and live over there, there is nothing holding me here except this church. But I don' t want to move over there until there is someone who can go with me. I can't move over there by myself. Is there anyone we can send to my town?"

...

There are literally hundreds of towns like hers in Rio Grande do Sul.

No comments: