Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving...

For the Unity of the Spirit of God in Christ. There is nothing more unifying than seeing my own need of the gospel as great (or greater!) as the one with whom I have a conflict or disagreement. I fall at the foot of the cross beside my brother.
For my name, written in the Book of Life. What confidence, what security, what a place to dwell.
For a Source of Joy that is not circumstantial, that is constant, unwavering, and always present. When everything is bleak, cloudy, confusing, there is a Fountain of Life of which I can drink and never thirst again.
For the nearness of The Lord that motivates me to walk in goodness. Towards those that are without the church, certainly. But that goodness only carries full weight if it is first seen in the way I relate to my brother or sister in Christ.
For the privilege of prayer whose purpose is to keep me from being anxious. God who knows all things desires my prayers, not for His benefit but for mine.
For true and lasting peace. Only the gospel. Pax Romana was forced militarily. Pax Americana is forced economically and obviously fleeting. Peace that allows me to stay in the prison, even when the doors area opened, just so that I can share the gospel with the jailer. Peace that causes me to appeal to Caesar so that I can preach the gospel in Rome when a simple bribe would have won my freedom . Peace with God, which is the most important peace of all. No government, no matter how big their stick, could bring peace like this.
For Jesus who is truth, honesty, justice, purity, lovely, of good and noble report, and full of virtue and worthy of praise, a new source for my thoughts. I will leave behind talk radio, pop music, fox news, sporting events. I have something more worthwhile to talk about, to think about.
For spiritual leaders whose example of walking with Christ I can follow. I can name several that God has put in my life.
Philippians 4:1-9

No comments: