Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Because You Were Praying

During the last three weeks we (our missionary team) have been preparing a group of seven people for baptism. Or should I say, we have been conducting a review of the Holy Spirit's work in preparing seven people for baptism. Lord willing we will be able to hold the baptism next Wednesday night around the pool in Vilmar's yard. Here are a few short stories that came from those people and one that did not.

-----

"Why don't we have a room full of people here?" Chico asked us leaning forward on his chair. We had walked in together after parking on the cobblestone street. As we walked in he had said, "I almost didn't come tonight. I was in a meeting until 7:05. We ran home and ate something and we made it here." It was 7:26pm. "My head is this big," he said as he held his arms outstretched from side to side.

"I'm glad you made it tonight," I answered. "Hopefully we won't go very long with our discussion." And we hadn't. There wasn't a lot left to cover after all. These seven people had spent over 6 hours together on Monday and Tuesday during the week before. They had studied salvation in depth, baptism, and the importance of the church. There was little left uncovered. All we had wanted to do that evening was answer questions and doubts they might still have and show them what a baptism service would be like.

Back in our discussion, Chico was still trying to understand his original question. "I don't know what it is. But those two days we spent together with Pastor Fabio had an impact on my life. I don't think I understood it all as clearly as I do now. And I don't think I understand it all yet. But how come everyone didn't sign up to be baptized?" We talked through some of the others who had made professions of faith and some of the other reasons/excuses others had given. Then we talked about God being the one that has to open your eyes to an understanding of spiritual truths.

"I still don't understand it all. But to me, Vilmar is my dad. (Vilmar started this Bible Study with Chico and his family- and a few others- over two years ago.) He is the one who led me to the Lord, and to me, you need to follow your dad's example. If he says something, you need to do it."

-----

André rode his motorcycle and got in late. He face was red and he looked a little disheveled. He works for Vilmar in a factory that makes rubber soles for shoes. It is super, super hot this time of year in Rio Grande do Sul. André first participated with us during a couples' dinner way back in June. The next time we saw him and his wife, it was at a retreat in September. He trusted Christ as his Savior at the end of November. Vilmar and I helped him and his family move a couple of weeks ago.

He hadn't had any input during our discussion and about half way through excused himself because he wasn't feeling good. He didn´t look too good either.

That´s why we were happy to see him and his family come in the gate the next night at Bible Study. We sat down with him at the end of the Bible Study. "So, where are you at on this whole baptism thing? Do you have any questions?" I asked him.

"No, no. I don´t have any questions." He said as he sat down on a white plastic chair. His two kids were still running around with ElliAnna and his pregnant wife was talking to Denielle and Sirlei (Vilmar´s wife). "To me it all started back at the retreat. I hadn´t ever considered any of this before. I never thought I would ever want to do this but I do."

"That is because God has put that desire in your heart, André. You just need to obey." Vilmar encouraged him.

We talked about how important it is to read your Bible, and be a leader in your family, go to church, walk with God. Then we talked about some of the things that has happened in his life in the last couple of months, a new house, a pregnancy, he was able to get his car back that was stolen a couple of years ago. God has been doing special things in his life. Then, later on, we explained to him what the baptism service would be like (he had missed that part the day before), and that we wanted him to share his testimony.

"Don´t worry, you only need to preach for half an hour." Vilmar laughed. He smiled. Then we told him that it wasn´t hard. He needed to talk about who he was before, what happened, and who he is now. Simple.

-----

"I love to tell people what we talk about in our studies when I go home." Elza could not attend our discussion meeting but had made this statement during the final class the week before. Her husband Silvano had been participating in the Bible Study but stopped over a year ago. He isn´t sure he is ready to believe God yet.

"I especially talk to Silvano about the things we do and our studies. I told him everything we studied last night. He had thought I was coming to a music class. I told him I wanted to be baptized. He said, ´Are you sure you want to do that? You know what that means, don´t you? You´ll have to stop smoking, and stop doing all other types of things.´ "

So, Silvano´s understanding of things isn´t all that clear yet.  Silvano, one of Chico´s brothers, told us when he left that he wanted to go back to the Catholic Church. (But it is interesting, in the year and a half that we have been a part of this Bible Study, not once has anyone ever talked about smoking.)

Elza continued: "I told him, `Yeah, I know. I´m ready to start living for God. I´m tired of playing these games. I want to make some changes in my life.´"

Unfortunately Elza wasn´t able to attend our last discussion class. And last Wednesday night a terrible rain storm flooded streets, blew over 60ft eucalyptus trees on the side of the highway, and knocked out power all over the valley. A lot of people weren´t able to make it. We´ll have to corner her tomorrow.


-----

"I know who I am," Cicero said to me on Sunday night after I preached through Colossians 3:1-4. "I am in Christ!" Cicero studied theology in a catholic seminary. He knows a lot about the Bible. A stroke several years ago took some of his motor skills and also hid his very intelligent brain behind a speech impediment that makes him hard to understand at times. "I have not always understood what it all means but now I do."

Édio was standing with us listening to the conversation. He is another man with a lot of history and an interesting story to tell of God´s grace. He smiled. "Amen, brother." He said.

Then he asked Cicero, "When Christ comes back will you be happy or will you go happy?" He was making a play on words. In Portuguese the phrase sounds like this: will you stay happy or will you go happy. The being verb you use to "be happy" also sounds like "stay happy."

Cicero smiled big from ear to ear. "I´m gonna go happy!" He stuttered.

Me too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, hon! My heart is just full after reading this - I hadn't heard all of these testimonies yet...Wow, what a privilege to be involved in what God is doing here! I love you and I am SO thankful for how God is using you!!! Love you!

Jason and Sadie said...

Stealing for church newsletter