Friday, August 27, 2010

Praying

A couple of thoughts about prayer and missions that have been challenging my heart in the last couple of weeks. These come from David Garrison.

1. Pray for the missionaries, their health, their family members, their vocation are all subject to attack.
2. Pray for the people group they are reaching. In our case, the Gaúchos of German and Italian decent that need to turn to Christ. They are entrenched in a dead religious system and the lie that the accumulation of stuff will bring them lasting peace.
3. Prayer must be modeled by the missionary. Ok, on this point I have done a pour job. "We often underestimate the way our actions overshadow our words. Only when prayer comes to characterize the life of the missionaries and church planters, does it spread to their team members and to those they are trying to reach."
4. Prayer must be for the new believers.
5. Prayer must be by the new believers.
6. Prayer must be between partners on the missionary team.
7. Prayer must include the plea for more workers.

"We pray because our vision exceeds our abilities."

3 comments:

Kennedy Crew said...

I love the quote at the end! Good reminders!
~Salyna

Jason and Sadie said...

May I use this in my article? I haven't had internet for a few weeks, so I couldn't ask earlier.

Jonathan Johnson said...

David Garrison left this list in his book that I cannot endorse 100%, not even 50% but nonetheless, was a blessing to me in several areas of my life. I want to read it again next year. Feel free to use these quotes. The book is called, "Church Planting Movements."